It can feel like you’ve been left at sea when trying to find a plot of land for your self-build project, but there are some fantastic resources available – sometimes in the most unlikely places! Get searching in as many places as possible to really boost your chances of finding that perfect self build plot a bit quicker.
Online Self Build Plot Search
Some of the key ‘plot finders’ online to sign up, search and explore are:
- Plot Search from Build Store
- Plot Finder from the Home Building & Renovating Show
- Finding Land from the Self Build Portal
- Plot Browser from Self Build & Design Magazine
- Custom Build Homes (also from Build Store) lists current registers, self build developments and a place to register your interest
It is always worth having a go with their newsletters (you can always unsubscribe later!) just to see if they give the kind of advice and support you require.
Also give sites like Rightmove and Zoopla a try – you can draw searches for your self build plot, set up alerts and search for just land. You could also look for run-down buildings and make plans to demolish and rebuild – but this could be expensive so make sure you get lots of information.
Bricks-and-Mortar Plot Searches
There are a few options for non-internet based self build plot searches too:
- Sign up for your local council register (or in areas you are looking) for information on local plot availability
- Speak to estate agents – they don’t often get plots, but providing your details means they can get in touch when they do, and can provide great advice too
- Look for local land auctions (the local council can help with this too)
- Ask architects and local surveyors as they may hear about plots before anyone else
- Keep an eye on planning applications in your desired area – they can sometimes be plots for sale rather than planned builds
- Get involved with local community conversations and have a good scout around the area to see if you can spot any plots – sometimes they will be taken before reaching the general public.
Also remember to speak to other people who are completing self-builds if you can, as they will have lots of tips and advice.
Plot Shop Open for Business
The UK’s first Plot Shop has opened recently in Pioneer Square, Bicester (Oxfordshire), and is a fantastic resource when it comes to your self build plot hunt. Following in the footsteps of other countries, the plot shop is effectively a drop-in centre for advice and ideas. It has very close links with local Graven Hill self-build development site in Bicester, but will be able to provide general information and tips.